Tuesday, August 31, 2010

book review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers 
pages: 336
pub date: April 13, 2010
source: library


from goodreads:
When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.

my experience:
After reading Perfect Chemistry last Friday, I went to the library the next morning and picked up this one. I couldn't help it! I needed to read about Carlos and his own love story. Just as addicting Perfect Chemistry, I once again stayed up later than I should've to finish it. It is very similar, plot wise, to PC. But I don't really care. I liked it anyway.

It was rather abrupt. Carlos and Kiara find that they are attracted to each other but neither is admitting it. Then, suddenly, Kiara is seducing Carlos on her parent's couch. Whoa! What? Where did that come from?

I love the cover. It's an actual scene from the book when Carlos admits his love for Kiara.

Content:
Also just like Perfect Chemistry, a lot of swearing, a lot of it the f-bomb. Drugs and underage drinking. And sex. I thought the sex was a lot more than in PC. Though I still got uncomfortable at times, I can't say I wasn't expecting it.

No comments: