Tuesday, August 3, 2010

review: Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

Release Date: March 23, 2010
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pages: 368 pgs
source: library

book blurb:
When Wayland North brings rain to a region that's been dry for over ten years, he's promised anything he'd like as a reward. He chooses the village elder's daughter, sixteen-year-old Sydelle Mirabel, who is a skilled weaver and has an unusual knack for repairing his magical cloaks. Though Sydelle has dreamt of escaping her home, she's hurt that her parents relinquish her so freely and finds herself awed and afraid of the slightly ragtag wizard who is unlike any of the men of magic in the tales she's heard. Still, she is drawn to this mysterious man who is fiercely protective of her and so reluctant to share his own past.


The pair rushes towards the capital, intent to stop an imminent war, pursued by Reuel Dorwan (a dark wizard who has taken a keen interest in Sydelle) and plagued by unusually wild weather. But the sudden earthquakes and freak snowstorms may not be a coincidence. As Sydelle discovers North's dark secret and the reason for his interest in her and learns to master her own mysterious power it becomes increasingly clear that the fate of the kingdom rests in her fingertips. She will either be a savior, weaving together the frayed bonds between Saldorra and Auster, or the disastrous force that destroys both kingdoms forever.

my opinion:
I didn't read the inside cover blurb before I read this book. A coworker said she really liked it so I made a point of picking it up. With no preconceived notions, everything was unexpected. Which I love. I love being surprised and having the story unfold without knowing that Sydelle has a mysterious power until she herself finds out she has a mysterious power.

The characters are great. North is an intriguing character who really grew on me. I wasn't so sure at the beginning. I love his friend, though I can't remember his name at this moment. Sydelle is a strong heroine who makes some tough decisions. The romantic tension between Sydelle and North made me smile. I wouldn't have minded a few more kisses, but then I always like a good kissing scene. Though the story really didn't need it. But still...

It's wonderfully written great stand-alone story. Really like it!

And there isn't any blatant sex, drugs, violence or swearing. Though North does get drunk a few times. And there are some magic duels. And North punches a jerk in the face.

No comments: