Friday, August 27, 2010

booking through thursday (1)

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme. This week's questions is:

If you’re not enjoying a book, will you stop mid-way? Or do you push through to the end? What makes you decide to stop?

I didn't use to stop reading a book if I didn't like it. I'd plow through, or possibly skim, to the end because there was always the chance that it might end up being my favorite book ever. I've learned since than. If I don't like in within the first fifty pages, I'm not going to like the rest. So now I stop. I don't have a hard fast rule, like I-have-to-read-to-this-page-before-I-stop, I just stop when I want. And I'm now okay knowing that I might be missing out on something. But there are so many books out there, why spend time reading one I'm not enjoying?

1 comment:

Cass said...

I've only stopped reading 2 books, that I can remember.

* Lessons in Heartbreak by Cathy Kelly, during my chick lit kick I was on a year ago.
* Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (#5), don't torch me. It was just too long and I had a break, and then forgot what the beginning was about. The length just scares me. :P