Tuesday, January 25, 2011

review: Here Lies Bridget by Paige Harbison

pub date: February 1, 2011
publisher: Harlequin
pages: 208
source: netgalley
challenge: ebook

blurb from goodreads:
Heroine, Bridget Duke, rules her high school, but when she crashes her car and ends up in limbo, she must confront the people she has wronged, all of whom want her to go to hell. The outcome of these meetings will decide her final destination.

me:
I had a hard time with this book in the beginning, for two reasons.

The first reason is because we begin the story with the car crash, then rewind a few weeks and get the rundown of what had happened before Bridget hits a tree. It isn't until at least half way through that we're back to the crash again. It took longer to get to this point in the story than I was expecting, so the beginning seemed rather long to me though it probably wasn't. I liked it, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Second, Bridget isn't a very likable character. She understands that she isn't as nice as she could be, but she's so wrapped up in herself she doesn't do anything about it. I didn't get why anyone would want to be her friend even if she was the most popular girl.

So put the two together and I'm reading a longer beginning than I expected about a character I didn't like for longer than I wanted...you get the idea.

However, I really enjoyed the second half of the book. Once we get to limbo and Bridget has to face what a creep she is, the pace picks up. And I bought into Bridget understanding what a jerk she was and that she would really change.
Here Lies Bridget reminded me a lot of Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, but even more so 7 Souls by Barnabas Miller and Jordan Orlando. Though Here Lies Bridget is much more lighthearted and humorous. And has a happier ending.

So overall, I enjoyed the book. It was a fast read with a memorable main character and a happy ending and even a kiss. And I really do like that cover. 

No comments: