Thursday, January 20, 2011

review: Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

pub date: Jan 2004
publisher: Scholastic
pages: 304
source: library
format: audiobook


blurb from goodreads:
Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life: he plays drums in the All-Star Jazz band, has a crush on the hottest girl in the school, and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey.



But when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with his brother's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. Salted with humor and peppered with devastating realities, Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie is a heartwarming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis.

me:
Wow, how I love this book.

Sonnenblick has a way of writing about heart wrenching life experiences, but with such humour that I'm laughing through my tears. Through all the struggles that Steven and his family go through, there is such hope and love. I loved Steven's family, I loved Steven's friends. In the end it was a very feel good book for all downer stuff in it.

We listened to this book while driving to California two weeks ago, all three of us were bawling and/or laughing for five hours. We loved it.

Earlier this year Sonnenblick's After Ever After came out, it's about Jeffery when he's 13 and dealing with the after effects of chemo. I loved it for the same reason--real characters dealing with life and death issues but finding hope and humor.

Anyway, I love this book as well as After Ever After. I highly recommend both.

No comments: