Wednesday, November 3, 2010

nanowrimo day 3 :)

It's day 3 of nano and I am happy to say that I've kept with my schedule of 2000 words a day. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, because I don't know how the rest of this month will pan out and any day I can do 2000 words is a successful day. Another indicator of success? The fact I'm enjoying the story. I'm calling it Superman for right now. It's contemporary YA. With a sorta supernatural element. There's a boy and a girl. I have no idea where it's going beyond the first bit. It'll be interesting to find out.

The very first novel-length something I wrote took me two years to finish. Well, the first draft took me that long. Technically, I still haven't finished it. But it took me three years because I just kept editing the beginning, over and over. And then the middle, over and over. Then back to the beginning, again and again. Finally I just made myself finish, which was really tough. It was a glorious feeling to reach the end. (It would probably be even more glorious if I'd finish it all together).

One of the cool things about nano is that I can't go back and edit during November. I just have to write. And after four years of doing this, I've gotten good at moving past crappy writing and just getting the story on the page. Editing comes AFTER. Earlier today I was amazed at how horrible the writing was and I was okay with moving on. It was a wonderful feeling.

27 days/43,693 words to go

No comments: