Thursday, July 22, 2010

review: Restoring Harmony by Joelle Anthony

pub date: may 13, 2010
publisher: Putnam
pgs: 320 pgs
source: for review at kissthebook.blogspot.com
content: Nothing of note
Its 2041, ten years after the Great Collapse. Molly lives and works on her family's farm on a Canadian island. When the island doctor dies while Molly's mother is in the middle of a difficult pregnancy, Molly is sent to retrieve her doctor grandpa in America and bring him back to help. But travel is difficult and expensive and things aren't what Molly is expecting at her grandfathers. She has to use her wits to get back home.


I LOVE dystopic YA. I was trying to figure out what I liked so much about it the other day and I decided its because dystopic is realistic fiction with extraordinary circumstances. No magic or paranormal creatures or special powers outside the norm. Just regular people caught in trying times. Left to their own regular, human abilities. And that's appealing to me.


This book was no exception. No environmental disaster, but financial disaster. The dystopic aspect is more subtle. Though there isn't any great action going on, I was enthralled. Molly is strong. She's heroic. She succeeds. And she gets a few kisses in the deal which I like.




Though I am confused about the title. Did I miss something? I'm not sure what it means.

No comments: