Saturday, July 3, 2010

review: All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab


publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
pub date: January 12, 2010
pgs: 352
source: review copy for kiss the book
content: sex, swearing including f-bomb, violence, drugs, underage drinking

One of the books I read this weekend was All Unquiet Things. I LOVED IT! I was blown away.

Carly was murdered at the beginning of her junior year of high school. Her ex-boyfriend, Neily, is the one who found her body, shot three times in the chest. Carly's uncle was convicted of the murder, but Carly's cousin Audrey doesn't believe her father to be the murderer. At the beginning of their senior year, Neily and Audrey unite to find the real murderer.

Told in five chunks, Neily and Audrey take turns telling their side of the unfolding mystery. Their stories flip back and forth between their senior year and past experiences with Carly. I found the whole story very realistic. The information they find and how they find it that leads to the murderer worked for me. What I mean is that it wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

Jarzab's style of writing is addicting. It flowed. There was never a boring or slow part in the plot. I stayed up until 2:30am Sunday morning to find out the end of the story and then all day Sunday I just kept thinking about the story and the characters. It actually reminded me of the first season of Veronica Mars. Which was cool.

Having said all that I do have an issue with the morality of the characters. Neily, Audrey, and Carly all had sex mulitiple times, Carly with multiple people, when they were only fifteen. Really?

No comments: