Wednesday, July 28, 2010

review: Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

pub date: September 7, 2010
pgs: 416 pages
publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
source: ALA conference
I've been sick since Sunday. It rather sucked, the one bright spot being I read a few books while I literally became Couch Potato. The outline of my body is still imprinted on the cushions.

My favorite of the few books I read was Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan. I haven't read any of her other book but after reading this one, I will be picking them up. It was wonderful. The writing was funny and witty and the characters were great. I love seeing how characters grow throughout a book, and Nasty's a good one to watch. And I got my kissing scenes. I [heart] romantic kissing scenes.

blurb:
Nastasy has spent the last century living as a spoiled party girl, numbing herself to forget the violent and fatal tragedy that robbed her of her birthright--and her entire family. she feels nothing and truly cares for no one, until one night, when she witnesses her best friend, a dark immortal, torture a human. And her world is ripped apart.

She flees her "friends" and seeks refuge at River's Edge, where wayward immortals are rehabilitated. There she meets a gorgeous, undeniably sexy immortal (aka Viking god), who seems imexplicably linked to her past. Nastasya finally begins to deal, to actually care about life, and to feel safe. But when she discovers the dark immortals are after her, she suspects that danger may be closer than she ever imagined.

me:
Though Nastasya's body looks 17, she's really over 400 year old which makes her story have a depth and interest I wasn't really expecting. Her flashbacks to the past are really rather terrifying and extremely intriguing. I got to the end and the last two words were, "the end." I kind of freaked out. There was so much more story to tell. But then I saw that it's a trilogy and am super excited about more of Reyn and Nastasya and Incy and River. Just sad to have to wait a year to get it.

No comments: