Monday, March 28, 2011

so...writing...

I like to write YA fantasy. The last few years I've wanted to participate in the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers, but it's never worked out for me to attend. Until this year. All the stars have aligned. The only hurtle has been Fear. For months I've been debating the pros and cons. The major con has been that I Am Terrified.

But I've signed up and am committed on going, fear or no fear. The past few weeks I've been revising a novel that I've worked on for a long while. By turns I hate or love it or think it's the worse thing ever written. I've found that fear is rather paralyzing. I sit in front of my computer and stare because what keeps going through my mind is, "people are going to read this!" Well, at least part of it.

So this is my explanation for minimal blog posting the past few weeks and for the next few months (in addition to plain old laziness. Sometimes I just don't wanna).

I thought I'd end with this wonderful poem. I feel such affinity.  

WRITER WAITING by Shel Silverstein
Oh this shiny new computer--
There just isn't nothin' cuter.
It knows everything the world ever knew.
And with this great computer
I don't need no writin tutor,
'Cause there ain't a single thing that it can't do.
It can sort and it can spell,
It can punctuate as well.
It can find and file and underline and type.
It can edit and select,
It can copy and correct,
So I'll have a whole book written by tonight
(Just as soon as it can think of what to write).

No comments: