Tuesday, March 29, 2011

review: Bumped by Megan McCafferty

pub date: April 26, 2011
publisher: Balzer + Bray
pages: 336
source: NetGalley
appeals: future, dystopia
content: a lot of talk about sex, some swearing including the f-bomb

thoughts:
I'm not really sure what to write about this book. I'm not sure what I think.

First of all, I should research books better before I read them. There is A LOT of talk about sex in this book. It's practically all about teens having sex (though the actual act isn't ever described). Yes, I am rather naive. I did expect some, just not so much. If I had done research about the book and knew this before picking it up, I would never have picked it up.

However, I did pick it up. And I got rather interested in this really, EXTREMELY disturbing story McCafferty writes. There were a few times I almost put it down because of content, but I was so intrigued by the story that I didn't, I couldn't. I kept reading. I read it on my nook and for some reason it wouldn't tell me what page I was on, so I didn't know I was at the end until the acknowledgement page popped up. And then I was UPSET! It's such an abrupt ending, like stopping in the middle of the story. And I really wanted to know what happened next.

Like I said, not sure what to think about this book!

McCafferty wrote a future, dystopic novel that is amazing. One that is extremely disturbing, but utterly believable.  I mean, the propaganda geared towards teens about having babies--ack! The young age of these teen mothers and would be mothers. The emotional and physical and social effects of teens having babies so young, just to give them away...so very upsetting. But I really believed it.

For example--parent's selling their children's bodies for 9 months at a time to make babies for the highest bidder. I watched 5 minutes of Toddlers and Tiaras the night I finished this book(had never seen it before) and I totally saw how this could happen. Another example--the glamour of being a sperm donor. Think Justine Bieber. How many teen girls would want him to be the father of their baby? How many parents would want his DNA in their babies? Imagine the paparazzi attacks!!! I can see it.

Everything was meant to be disturbing and make the reader think, so that was good. But the religion bothered me differently. The two religious viewpoints were very extreme. It bothered me in a more personal sense. Where's the more rational religious look at infertility and rampant teen pregnancy?


So, yeah. Read at your own risk. But very interesting. And rather addictive.

summary:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common

No comments: