Wednesday, October 27, 2010

review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

pub date: September 7, 2010
publisher: HarperCollins
pgs: 336
source: library
content: a little swearing, lots of kissing

blurb from goodreads:
With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.

me:
I really liked how Jordan created the Draki, their skills and talents, and transformation into humans from dragons. It was a realistic supernatural element to this contemporary novel. The dynamic between Jacinda and her sister and mother was very cool plot element. I could understand see both sides of the argument, Jacinda vs sister/mother. And the answer to their situation isn't obvious. I'm very curious where this is going in the next book, since this one ended rather abruptly and right over a cliff.

And the cover is so freakin cool.

I had a problem with Jacinda. She annoyed me. Matt is drawn to her. Jacinda is drawn to him. She likes kissing him, but it's dangerous. So she will ignore him. But then this attraction cannot be ignored and they are kissing. Again. It's dangerous, so Jacinda tries to ignore him. Again. Back and forth, kissing to ignoring, ignoring to kissing. Aaah! It got really annoying. I felt for Jacinda, but the wishy-washy-ness got to me within the first 150 pgs and it went on until the end. 

I'm getting tired of love triangles, but I didn't mind the one in Firelight because Jacinda clearly makes her choice (at least in this book). She at least isn't wishy-washy in her selection of boy. Same with Kiersten White's Paranormalcy. There may be two boys pursuing the protag, but the protag knows who she wants. I like that. 

No comments: