Tuesday, January 31, 2012

review: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

pub date: February 14, 2012
publisher: Walker and Co
pages: 304
source: NetGalley
appeals: Robin Hood, retelling, romance, adventure
content: rather gritty--real life hardships, violence

thoughts:
This was a lot of fun to read. One of Robin Hood's merry men, Will Scarlet, is actually a girl masquerading as a boy. It was a premise I enjoyed. I haven't read Robin Hood or any other retellings (that I can think of right now, anyway), so it was new and fun for me.

There was a lot of and adventure and fighting and gore, which made it exciting and fun to read. You might think it would make a good boyish book, but I don't think it is so much. Though Scarlet is pretending to be a boy, I felt it had a definite feminine feel to it.

One aspect of the story I didn't so much care for was Scarlet told her story in commoner-slang (for lack of a better word). It made sense that she did, but I must admit it rather bugged me, especially when the book was 300 pages. It got a little old, and at times downright annoying. Scarlet was supposed to be about seventeen, but she seemed so much younger to me. Maybe fourteen. I think her use of language was part of the reason she seemed so young, but she also cried a lot and her reactions to some situations seemed young, too.

Overall, it was a fun book and I enjoyed it a lot. But beware of the commoner-slang and you'll need some patience with Scarlet. She has some growing up to do.

summary:
Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

3 comments:

Good Choice Reading said...

I was curious about this book. Sounds pretty interesting, but I don't think I can deal with the slang. I've read some books that were good, but because of the slang I had to put it down lol.

Great review though!

Ann Summerville said...

Cute idea on an old story. Too much slang would be distracting for me too. I read an Elizabeth George book that had "innit" instead of isn't it constantly. I understand that London teenagers say this a lot but in a book it can drive you crazy with constant repetition.
Ann

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I agree that Scarlet seemed young; while I didn't think she was 14 due to the time that has passed in the story, she sure didn't seem 17.