Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011's most memorable reads

Wow. 2011 is a thing of the past.

Hallelujah! I'm glad the holidays are over because there was just too much food EVERY WHERE and I've been trying to lose weight, not gain it (and I did--lost 5 pounds in December!!! And it was really hard because food was EVERY WHERE).

But I'm also sad that the holidays are over because tomorrow my life starts up again as usual. I don't think I'm ready for that. 

Anyway, that wasn't what this post was meant to be about. This post is to share 2011's most memorable reads. Late, I know, but I've been a slacker bloggist the past few weeks (months), so this is when it gets done.

And so, here they are, in no particular order:

OKAY FOR NOW by Gary Schmidt
I laughed, I cried, I gushed about this book to all of my coworkers and any friend who had an iota of interest. It's just that good. So much heartbreak, but so much hope. Doug Swieteck is my hero.

WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Foreman
Since I first read this book in January, I've probably reread it four times. I don't reread books as often these days with such a deep to-read pile, but this one just calls to me. I have a really hard time pinpointing exactly why. I just love it.

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE by Sara Zarr
This book took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. What really drew me in where the two narrators, Jill and Mandy. I loved their distinct voices, how the perceived each other, and how their world view changed through knowing each other. And it had a happy ending. So few of Zarr's books have true happiness at the end.

DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth
I read this book in one day. I could not put it down. I thought it was original and interesting and exciting and the romance was spot on. Excited for Insurgent.

WANDERLOVE by Kirsten Hubbard
This one doesn't come out until March, but I read it back in August and LOVED it. It was so well-written, but more than the plot, it was the characters that won my heart. Rowan is swoon worthy. I'm really impatient for this book to be released. I want to reread it, but since I borrowed it from NetGalley, I have to wait. Sigh.

VARIANT by Robison Wells
It's just fun. And creepy and surprising and exciting. Really good story telling. Highly recommend.

TEXAS GOTHIC by Rosemary Clement-Moore
This was just fun. The romance, the mystery, the setting, the characters. Fluff, but oh so filling.

RUBY RED by Kerstin Gier
I find the cover extremely boring, but the story in side is extremely fun. There is so much humor, as well as mystery and adventure. I was a little peeved at the ending...Gier ended the book in the middle of a scene. How cruel. But still really fun.

EVERFOUND by Neal Shusterman
This is the conclusion to one of my favorite series. It cemented my love for Mr. Shusterman. I met the man in October (I was actually his chauffeur and picked him up at his hotel and took him to the event...did I mention that earlier?) and it is all because of the Skinjacker Series. LOVE this book. LOVE the series. LOVE how it ended.

CINDER by Marissa Meyer
The whole world Meyer created was just mind blowing. I loved how it wasn't just the story of Cinderella in a new world, it was it's own world with hints of Cinderella. Really enjoyable. I'm impatient for the rest of the series.

3 comments:

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Great picks-I especially loved Okay For Now, a book I originally passed over...for some reason...but then was persuaded to pick up and I just adored it. So amazing!

Cass said...

I loooooooved Wanderlove. *sigh* My Netgalley galley ran out so I lost all of my bookmarks on Digital Editions. Luckily I wrote down all the page numbers so I can flick through to all my favourite moments. And boy, there are so many! I've never had over 10 quotes for a book, but this book was breathtakingly beautiful!

Divergent, Where She Went and Cinder -- all freaking fantastic reads. INSURGENT!!!

I've been wanting to read a book by Sara Zarr. I just don't know which one to begin with. Hopefully in the near future, I can read one of her books!

Variant has been on my top-wishlist for a while. It's been pretty highly praised and it sounds deliciously creepy and mysterious.

I'm still on the fence with Ruby Red. There's a pb coming out later this year. When I buy a book, I have to know it'll be a keeper. What would you compare this book to?

resugo said...

Hey Cass! I would definitely read How to Save a Life if you want a Sara Zarr book. I've read them all and it is the best of hers in my opinion. Story of a Girl is my least favorite, and the other two are good.

As for Ruby Red, I've been trying to think of a book it's like...and I can't think of something similiar. FAIL! It's kind of it's own thing. It has romance and humor and mystery and time travel. it's just a fun read.

Thanks for stopping by!