Friday, January 6, 2012

review: Girl Meets Boy: Because There Are Two Sides to Every Story edited by Kelly Milner Hall

pub date: December 28, 2011
publisher: Chronicle Books
pages: 204
source: LibraryThing Early Reveiwer
content: sex, swearing

thoughts:
This book of short stories wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be a fun, lighter read with insight into how boys and girls view the same situation. It wasn't fun or light, nor did it bring insight. It wasn't even all that enjoyable.

The first set of stories were all about sex. I really didn't enjoy them, so it took me a while to pick the book up and read the rest. And I'm not sure it was really worth my time to have picked it back up.

My favorite set of stories were, "Falling Down to See the Moon," and, "Mooning over Broken Stars." They characters were cute and likable and their story was sweet. I wanted more like them. 

Second favorite, "No Clue, aka Sean," and "SEAN + RAFFINA." 

Looking at the book overall, it was just okay. Overall, too much focus on sex. And I felt like most of the stories were trying too hard to be sensational.

Just give me straight-forward, cute, upbeat, fun stories.  I don't wanted twisted endings. I just wanted a little romance.  

summary:
What do guys and girls really think? Twelve of the most dynamic and engaging YA authors writing today team up for this one-of-a-kind collection of "he said/she said" stories-he tells it from the guy's point of view, she tells it from the girl's. These are stories of love and heartbreak. There's the good-looking jock who falls for a dangerous girl, and the flipside, the toxic girl who never learned to be loved; the basketball star and the artistic (and shorter) boy she never knew she wanted; the gay boy looking for love online and the girl who could help make it happen. Each story in this unforgettable collection teaches us that relationships are complicated-because there are two sides to every story.

No comments: