Monday, September 19, 2011

review: A Web of Air by Philip Reeve

pub date: October 1, 2011
publisher: Scholastic Press
pages: 304
series: Mortal Instruments Prequel #2, or Fever Crumb #2
appeals: Steampunk, future, flight, action, adventure, rationality
content: some violence

thoughts:
This is the second book in the Fever Crumb series, following (obviously) Fever Crumb. And it was great. I have not read the Mortal Instruments books, though I think I might need to. I really love this world. But with my to-read pile, it might be a while...

I enjoyed Fever Crumb, but I liked this one even better. I think. It's been a year since I read Fever Crumb, so it's hard to compare. Anyway, this was a fun and adventurous (and near the end a) very suspenseful book.

What I really love about A Web of Air and it's predecessor is the world. I'm not sure how far into the future these books take place, hundreds at least, but there has been a great Downsizing, and much of the technology and knowledge of our age has been lost. It's fun to see how Reeve changes our world in this future. So inventive and fun to read. The silly play of Naill Strong-Arm flying to the moon, because of course flight isn't possible, and Mad King Elvis of America. It's great stuff.

Fever is a engineer so she is smart and mechanical and very set on being rational in all things, including love. Sometimes that really annoys me, but other times I really like her for it. All of the characters in A Web of Air have depth to them, and there are a lot of surprises on who is doing what and why behind the scenes. Which made for a surprising read.

I am very unsettled about the ending of this book. It's the middle of the trilogy, so of course it leaves me hanging on what is to become of Fever, and I am bugged that it does so. I want a happy ending! And I want it a particular happy ending! And I really need the third book Right Now to find out if I (and Fever) get that happy ending. Sometimes a years seems soooo very faaaaar away.

summary:
Two years ago, Fever Crumb escaped the war-torn city of London in a traveling theater. Now, she arrives in the extraordinary city of Mayda, where buildings ascend the cliffs on funicular rails, and a mysterious recluse is building a machine that can fly. Fever is the engineer he needs - but ruthless enemies will kill to possess their secrets.

No comments: