Thursday, September 8, 2011

review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

pub date: September 29, 2011
publisher: Dutton
pages: 338
source: LibraryThing Early Reviewer program
appeals: romance, contemporary, realistic, California,
content: off the page sex, swearing (2 f-word)

thoughts:
I love LibraryThing's early reviewer program because they sent me this book! Yay early reviewer!

I had a difficult time with this book in the beginning. I didn't like the decisions that Lola was making and I was really irritated with her. Mostly I did not like her relationship with her boyfriend, Max. She was 17 while he was 22 and their relationship was very physical. As in they were sleeping together. Ugh. Especially when I knew from the beginning that in the end Lola will be with the boy next door, and not with the older man. It was just...ew. Everything physical was off page, but still too much.

However, it didn't take me long to fall in love with Lola. Even if I didn't like her decisions in the beginning, she was such a sweet and endearing and quirky and original character. I enjoyed being inside her head (except when she was gushing over Max) and I loved how she grew as a person. She really did grow up and I loved tagging along as she did so. 

Cricket. sigh. Cricket. He is SO cute. Everything about his is just awesome. I love his name. I love his style. And I love how he loves Lola. I love how introverted and smart and sweet he is. He is a great love interest. Much better for Lola than the older guy.

Perkins is so fun to read. Her stories flow and are addicting and so funny. I love all her characters, they are fully formed and their emotions are real. I love her settings, too. I really enjoyed San Francisco with Lola and Cricket. And Anna and Etienne. Yes, Anna and Etienne are in the book quite a bit. Much more than I was expecting.

I really like this book. A lot.

summary:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

2 comments:

Racquel (A Book Barbie) said...

5 year age difference is nothing. No one complains when when 29 year old's marry 35 year old or older. Age is just a number, just because he's 22 doesn't make him a man. If Lola was 18 & legal, would that not have been 'ewww'?

I understand you didn't like that, it's ok that's your opinion it's all good but still, I have to give my two cents especially since this subject really bothers me.

Why do people just assume when someone over 18 is a man's man old guy or girl and everybody under is a kid?

Age is just a number.

resugo said...

I think age says a lot about life experience. I don't look at Lola as a 'kid,' just a girl who hasn't had a lot of experience. Max is a rocker boy, five years out of high school with A LOT of life experience. If she was 27 and he was 32, then their life experiences would equal out more.

A lot of my reaction was because of how physical it was. If they were not sleeping together, it would not have been 'ew.' I am in my thirties, so it probably bugs me more than someone who is younger.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I appreciate it.