Monday, September 5, 2011

review: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

pub date: September 20, 2011
publisher: HarperCollins
pages: 432
source: NetGalley
appeals: fantasy, romance, adventure, magic, religion,
content: violence and war


thoughts:
I loved this book. From the very first page, I was drawn into the story and didn't want to put the book down.

I loved Elisa. Even in the beginning, when she isn't a particularly appealing main character, I still really liked her because I understood her. I understood her fears and why she thought what she thought and did what she did. But as the book went on, I loved her because of her bravery and smarts. I loved how her world view changed. How she changed.

The romance was great. Sudtle and very real. And hopeful. There was also a lot of sadness which made me mad. I didn't want sadness. I was very impressed with the world Carson created. The religion and different perceptions of God from all the different characters was so interesting. I loved the geography of the land. It's varied landscapes and peoples. They felt very real and fully developed. The land was its own character.


My one issue is that I thought it ended too soon. The resolution was too quick. And I'm kind of sad it's a trilogy. I loved Elisa, but now I have to wait knowing there is more to her story. It would've been nice to know this was the end. The story was wrapped up neatly so I'm wondering where it's going to go in the next book.


I'm not a big fan of the cover, but I like it better than the previous cover. The previous cover had a skinny, light-skinned beauty on the front. That wasn't Elisa. So at least this one doesn't give the impression of what isn't.

you should definitely pick up this book!


summary:
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.


Elisa is the chosen one.


But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.


Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.


And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.


Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.


Most of the chosen do.

No comments: