Friday, June 10, 2011

review: Party by Tom Leveen

pub date: April 27, 2010
publisher: Random House
pages: 240
appeals: I'm not sure...
content: drugs, underage drinking, lots of swearing (including f-word), sex, some violence

thoughts:
I thought this book sounded interesting. The idea of eleven different stories/characters and one night where they all intersect--rather cool.


But once I read the book, it wasn't so cool. I disliked seven out of the eleven characters because of their attitudes towards sex, alcohol, drugs, and God. I found them pathetic, and at times offensive.

Okay, so that was rather strong.

I did like 4 of the characters. It was well written. I did finish the book, mostly because I wanted some good to happen and hoped it would by the end. It did. The ending was hopeful.

It just wasn't my kind of book. And I figured I wrote reviews for the books I loved, why not for those I didn't.

summary:
It's saturday night in Santa Barbara and school is done for the year. Everyone is headed to the same party. Or at least it seems that way. The place is packed. The beer is flowing. Simple, right? But for 11 different people the motives are way more complicated. As each character takes a turn and tells his or her story, the eleven individuals intersect, and reconnect, collide, and combine in ways that none of them ever saw coming.

No comments: