Thursday, June 2, 2011

review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

pub date: June 28, 2011
publisher: Simon Pulse
pages: 307
source: Simon and Schuster galley grab
appeals: contemporary, romance, family, verse
content: a little swearing

thoughts:
I enjoy Schroeder's books a lot so I was really excited to read this through Simon and Schuster's galley grab. I liked this one. I liked how the summary didn't give away the plot. It was nice to discover what The Day After will hold for Amber and Cade

I did feel like there wasn't much story. Amber and Cade share a day together, 24 hours. It's all told through Amber, who tells of their day and their individual back stories and what is going to happen to them next, but it didn't seem enough. It didn't feel like a flushed out story. And it wasn't because it was in verse, because I didn't feel this way with Schroeder's other books. Just this one.

I liked the characters. I did like their stories. I did like Amber and Cade's day together. I just wanted there to be more.  

I am a little disappointed in the cover. I think it's a nice cover, just a tad too dramatic for the story inside. She spends the day at the beach, what is she doing hiding in weeds?

summary:
Sometimes there's no turning back.

Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of her family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell that he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she's drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade's not just living in the now--he's living each moment like it's his last.

No comments: