Friday, August 5, 2011

review: Monster High by Lisi Harrison

pub date: September 2010
publisher: Poppy
pages: 272
appeals: high school, friendship, romance, monster
content: clean

thoughts:
This book took me a long time to finish because in the beginning (and middle) I was really bored. I would not have finished it if I hadn't committed to writing a review for a different book review blog. Since I had committed, I stuck with it and was surprised when the end was somewhat entertaining.

Mostly what I can say about this book is that it didn't appeal to me. It wasn't horrible and I can see a lot of people enjoying this book. I think it would be a good pick for tweens especially. There were a couple aspects of the plot that I found rather creative and fun (even in the mist of being bored).

First, I liked how the plot was told from two points of view, from two girls on different spectrum of the school hierarchy, who don't like each other but by the end understand a little about each other. Second, the love triangle was fun. I know, I thought a love triangle was fun. Wonders will never cease. Anyway, I think it will play out in an interesting way in the continuing series though I wont be reading them to find out.

summary:
They prefer to call themselves RAD (Regular Attribute Dodgers), but some call them monsters. So far, the "monster" community has kept a low profile in Salem, but this year two new girls enroll at Master High School, and the town will never be the same.

Created just fifteen days ago, Frankie Stein is psyched to trade her father's formaldehyde-smelling basement lab for parties and cheerleading. But with a student body totally freaked out by rumors of monsters who might be stalking the halls, Frankie finds that life in the "normi" world can be rough for a chic freak like her.

She thinks she finds a friend in fellow new student Melody Carver--but can a normi be trusted with her big secret?

1 comment:

Lark Andrea said...

I agree with you on this one. The idea was cute, but I was bored more than entertained.

Andrea @ Reading Lark