Tuesday, April 12, 2011

review: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

pub date: August 2008
publisher: Viking Juvenile
pages: 536
source: my bookshelf (before that, Barnes and Noble)
appeals: fantasy, dragons, adventure, war,
content: very gritty--definitely for older teens. A lot of war brutality. There aren't any soft punches.

thoughts:
Amazing world building. It blew my mind how awesome this fantasy world was. I loved it. I also loved how information was introduced. There's all this history that gets reveales slowly.

I don't read high fantasy often, so when I think of dragons, I think of them as sort of pets. Like sweet puppies. I'm not sure what fantasy dragons are usually like, but these ones were very different than what I was expecting. In a very cool and original way.

It was rather frustrating because I understood Eona's relationship with her dragon loooong before she did. Which was fun because I felt smart, but it wasn't fun when I figured it out half a book before Eona. Because then Eona just looks stupid. And makes stupid decisions. Which bothered me A LOT. Literally, I was yelling out loud because she was being such an idiot. Luckily, I was at home, alone, so nobody heard my rants.

My frustration with Eona knocked an apple off the wall for this book. I really enjoyed it. Awesome adventure. Wonderful characters. It was just so great. Yet...when I resort to yelling at a fictional character because she's DUMB, it kind of takes away from the enjoyment.

blurb:
Eon has been studying the ancient art of Dragon Magic for four years, hoping he'll be able to apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. But he also has a dark secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been living a dangerous lie for the chance to become a Dragoneye, the human link to an energy dragon's power. It is forbidden for females to practice the Dragon Magic and if discovered Eon faces a terrible death.

No comments: